[rescue] new to the list: new E250 owner, just saying hello.

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Fri Jan 13 02:47:58 CST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 06:46:24PM -0800, Devin L. Ganger wrote:
> Then I started wondering if there wasn't something flawed with the
> 32-bit SPARC kernel and switched to an Ultra 1. Trying all the
> permutations again didn't help -- everything still got corrupted. I even
> tried different disks and a separate disk enclosure. Funny, everything
> worked Just Fine under Solaris and SDS.

Linux support for 32-bit SPARC machines has never been as good as it is
with {Net|Open}BSD. The 2.6 kernel no longer even supports SMP on sun4m
machines and AFAIK there is no upstream maintainer for it (64-bit SPARC
machines are well supported though - Linux is the only open source OS to
properly support UltraSPARC-III machines).

FWIW, I've had very good experiences with NetBSD on my sun4c, sun4m and
sun4u machines. Unfortunately SMP is not yet working on sun4u, but it works
fine on sun4m. Now if only I could cool my dual SM81-2 SS20 properly...

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/