[rescue] new to the list: new E250 owner, just saying hello.

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 12 20:05:29 CST 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:18:17 -0500, dsimmons <dsimmons at libx.siu.edu> wrote:

> SYN
>
> I have been reading this list with great interest. I look forward to
> learning some interesting things here that I might not come across
> elsewhere.
>
> I am anxiously awaiting my first personal piece of class B equipment: I
> have an E250 coming via an ebay auction. I got Dual USII/300's, a gig of
> ram and 6 9's for $0.99+$135 shipping. :-) I bought the N+1 p.s. in
> another auction, just because it was there. I also got a front bezel for
> it because not having it would have bugged the crap out of me. It's my
> toy, I guess I can purchase non-essential components for it if I want
> to. :-)

ACK

Good to hear; my favorite of My Three Suns (geddit?!) is my Ultra 2 with
two USII/300's, 640MB of RAM, an 18 GB Cheetah and a 24-bit Creator3D
card.  Judging from the 24-bit framebuffer and the single hard drive, its
best role would be as a workstation.  This machine runs Solaris 10; you
can use the Free RTU license on machines with 1 to 4 CPUs (with Solaris 9
it was single processor only).

I've used another Ultra 2 before that was running software RAID through
the Solstice DiskSuite (or whatever it's called now); the performance was
rather good for a 9-year-old machine.  I don't know about raid1d on Linux
on an UltraSparc box; most of the ones I've worked with were running
Solaris of some version.  I'd certainly like to get some more drives, but
I'd probably go with new ones (haven't had an MIT swapfest drive fail on
me, but I have a 9GB Cheetah that runs pretty hot, and I had another one
before that ran noisy).  I know that an Ultra 2 can take 74 GB drives, but
can my wallet? ;-)

The Sun systems handbook for the E250
( http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E250/spec.html ) says it
has 2 channels of SCSI, and it's Ultra-SCSI, unlike my U2's 20MB/s
fast-wide SCSI.  I remember wanting an E450 as an end table, but they
still command a bit of a price on eBay, and I don't have the physical
space right now.

> As I said, this machine will start out as a toy. I
> may put it to actual work at some point, but for a little while, I'll
> probably just sit and listen to the hum of all those fans and repeat my
> new mantra: "MY Sun box. MY Sun box. MY Sun box." :-)

Ditto here.  My other two Suns are:

-a 440 MHz Ultra 5 with 1 GB of RAM; my dream is to have it running a
Quake 2 server or something (Id Software has dedicated server binaries for
Solaris 8, and I remember running the client in Solaris 9 on the U2, so I
know it works).

-a SparcStation 5 110 MHz with 256 GB of RAM; I just finished installing
NetBSD 3.0 on this machine.  It's definitely not a processing power champ,
but it'll go to some use soon.  Maybe a MySQL server so I can train a bit
on DB stuff, but a DHCP/DNS server would be even more practical.