[rescue] On the subject of 9 track tapes....

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Jan 12 16:14:37 CST 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 16:24, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> Hello,
>

>  I have a question regarding 9 track tape subsystems.
>
>  Were any of the later ones SCSI? Something that would be easy to
> talk to from a modern UNIX OS?

There's plenty of SCSI 9-track drives.. Overland data made a few (we
have one of those at work), DEC's TSZ07 is another, Sun made/rebadged
one, and even IBM sold one (for attachment to RS/6000s I believe).

You should have no problem using them with a modern system - I've used
them with Linux, and at work, we've used ours hanging off an Ultra 5
running Solaris 8.

Pat