[rescue] Netra T1 105 Problem

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Jan 12 12:46:57 CST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 12:04, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> >> Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> >> My suggestion is to pop the cover.  There is an LED display on the inside of the case, facing a plastic divider.  This display is a relic of the Netra CP1500 board used to create the Netra T1/105.  For reference, the LED display will cycle 'H' 'E' 'L' 'P' when the T1 is at the OK prompt.
> >>
> >> I have a T1 in the same condition. :-)
> >
> >And if it is indeed exhibiting this behavior, is there any way to get it
> >to start talking out it's serial port, or is it screwed?
> >
> >Peace...  Sridhar
>
> If that's the case, I'm not quite sure what to say.  Try connecting at several different speeds, in case the previous owner changed the serial port configuration.  Other than, that, I think you're out of luck.

There are two more possible alternatives:

connect the machine to a network
remove all hard drives
run snoop or tcpdump on a separate machine
boot the Netra

if you are lucky, the Netra will try to netboot something.

You can then grab its MAC, maybe set up a netboot environment, and try to feed it some kind of boot image that runs sshd during startup (customization required, I think).

OR

download a SPARC livecd image - something like Schillix but SPARC instead of x86.  Boot off of it, log in via ssh or telnet, run eeprom utility or whatnot to try to program it to defaults.

 Note that installing on one Netra, then pulling the disk and hooking to the bad Netra, would also let you get in and possibly poke around at it...

--Patrick