[rescue] SGI/Clariion 5400 question

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 16:44:36 CST 2006

On 1/6/06, John Mothershead <john at backyardtech.com> wrote:
> At 06:08 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:
> >Is that normal that it stops here?
> >
> >Also, all the drive leds are green but the yellow warning light in the
> >front right is lighted, above the green led.
> >
> >Can I not get any command line interface on the serial port?
> We have a couple of these, and that sounds like a normal boot. Once
> the system enters Serial Application Mode, it doesnt seem to log to
> the console anymore.
>
> The following was sent to me by Ethan O'Toole and should help.
>
> Can you try this:
>
> (From Tek-Tips Forums on EMC gear):
>
> There are two modes the serial port can be in.
>
> Serial Application Mode (what your in)
>
> where after post, it goes in to this mode, to allow for Management
> Software communication...
>
> Your looking for the FCLI...
>
> Type: {}{}
>
> That should break you out of SAM...
>
> then type MENU
> select FLARE
> select option 5 (start flare)
>
> that should get you to the FCLI prompt

Yep. I actually went under choice 9 (nonvol) and then there was a
submenu there that enabled me to change the boot default. I changed to
FCLI. Now it always starts flare and drops to FCLI> prompt. Exit
resumes the SAM.

Apparently it was last properly shutdown on 4/30/04:
04/30/04 21:40:03  3_8 0xA07  (CRU Powered Down)                 0x08

The log has over 6000 lines! This thing was being rebooted on a
regular basis (many times per day during the first few months). I
guess somebody wasn't too sure of what they were doing...

> As for the yellow lights, are both the power supplies plugged in?
> Hope this helps.

Yep. Turned out it is the middle fan that is not turning in the back.

fcli> spstat
SP A   LOOP ID 0x0 (0.)
PROM Revision: 4.23              Microcode Revision: 02.04.17
Statistics Logging: DISABLED     PEER SP: PRESENT
Disk Write Caching: DISABLED     R3 Write Buffering: DISABLED
WRITE CACHE: DISABLED            READ CACHE: DISABLED
RAID OPTIMIZED: R3 LUNs Only     SP TYPE: THOR