[rescue] Fixing the NVRAM battery in the SS5

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 12:27:09 CST 2006

My SS5 110 MHz has a nagging problem where its clock lags way behind the
actual time.  I don't turn it on that much (I really should; it's a nice
quiet box and could tuck away out of sight nicely if given enough
airflow), but when I do, the clock is behind.  It can range from days to
months behind, depending on how long the box has been powered off.

It's my first Sun box, and it's been like this ever since I first rescued
it in mid-2004, but I can't shake the feeling that someday the NVRAM is
going to go completely, and the thing won't boot.  Who sells the things to
fix, and what FORTH programming do I have to run through?

The SS5 is the slowest of my three Suns (GEDDIT?!), which includes an
Ultra 2 with 2 300MHz CPUs, 640 MB of RAM, and a 24-bit framebuffer, and
an Ultra 5 with 1024 MB of RAM and a 440 MHz CPU.  The two fastest boxes
run Solaris 10, but the SS5 is on Debian Sarge right now.  I haven't tried
OpenBSD on it yet, mostly because you either need to buy the CD or have
the box hooked up to the Internet.

Other dumb question to throw in the mix: is anyone making flash drives
that hook up to 80-pin SCA?  That would make for a seriously quiet
Sparcstation, and not having to worry about hard drives failing as much
(but I think that flash memory does go corrupt over time, and I've heard
that it's not as conducive to having data pushed all over the place).