[rescue] Unwilling Crimson

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jan 4 17:11:04 CST 2006

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:26:56 +0100, Joost van de Griek wrote:
> Nothing comes up on a terminal (VT100, 9600-8N1) attached to any of
> the serial ports, either, but we connected that with so many gender
> changers and 25-9 converters that it may well have simply been
> connected incorrectly.

As you've got some output there's a chance that it's nearly right, but
the SGI 9-pin serial port has a different pinout to a 'standard' 9-pin
serial port :-

     The DB-9 female serial port connectors, which are found on the
CHALLENGE     and Onyx systems, have the following pin assignments.

                                -------------------
                                \  5  4  3  2  1  /
                                 \   9  8  7  6  /
                                  ---------------

                         Pin | Name | Description
                         ____|______|____________________
                          2  | TD   | Transmit Data
                          3  | RD   | Receive Data
                          4  | RTS  | Request To Send
                          5  | CTS  | Clear To Send
                          7  | SG   | Signal Ground
                          8  | DCD  | Data Carrier Detect
                          9  | DTR  | Data Terminal Ready

Also make sure you don't have the keyboard plugged in.

> Also, both the power (green) and the fault (yellow) LED's come on at
> power-up, and the little display on the power board (PS1) displays the
> letter 'F', then after some time, the fault light goes off, and the
> diplay alternates between '1' and '2'.

You'll have to google for what that might mean.