[rescue] wire my house!

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Jan 3 15:08:01 CST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:28:29 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:26:27PM +0000, Peter wrote:
> > It's still a bargain. I'm paying 30 quid (USD50-ish) a month for
> > 1024/256, but Zen are considered once of the best providers.
>
> Wow. I'm paying $45/month (US) for 8 megabits down, 512 kilobits up.

It's tricky comparing prices between the UK and the US because there are
so many differences. And as Peter pointed out, it's possible to get
different prices ... I'm paying #24.99 for 2048/256 from a premium ISP
(Demon); my parents pay #18.99 a month for 2048/256 from a cheaper ISP.

Still more expensive than the US, but there's a hidden advantage to the
UK situation. If BT has enabled the exchange, and your line is ok, you
can go to *any* ADSL ISP and get their service ... not being stuck with
a clueless ISP who is the only provider in the area.

A big chunk of the monthly cost goes direct to BT for providing the
hardware layer. Oddly enough the cost of this is decreasing as more
exchanges get DSLAMs owned by the ISPs installed.