[rescue] SS5-170 mobo available

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Mon Jan 2 20:51:22 CST 2006

On Jan 2, 2006, at 9:33 PM, Bryan Gurney wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:03:07 -0500, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 12:32:57AM -0500, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>>
>>> It -is- serving DNS and HTTP proxy (squid) and barely breaks a sweat.
>>> I also have an old SS5 upgraded SS2 serving DNS.
>>
>> Do SS5s run cooler than SS20s?  The only reason I'm not currently
>> running SS20s is fear of cooking them, though I never had that fear
>> about U1s.
>
> I've seen a cooked Ultra 1, but that was from the CPU fan failing.
> This
> was a consistent problem for the U1's.
>
> As for the SS20, yeah, you have 2 to 4 CPUs on MBus cards, and IIRC the
> only ventilation in there is from the power supply fans, just like the
> SS5.  My 110MHz SS5 runs fairly cool; the CPU has one of those
> "stacked-disc" heatsinks on it, and the only ventilation is the power
> supply blowing onto the board.  It's pretty good if you give it a cool
> hard drive; it got hot in there when I had a hot 9GB Seagate Cheetah,
> but
> when I switched that out for an 18 GB Quantum drive, it was a bit
> cooler.
> I have an 18 GB Cheetah in my Ultra 2 that runs nowhere near as hot as
> the
> 9GB; I don't know if it's a "feature" of the 9GB model, or whether my
> particular 9GB has an issue.  Oh well, that's what you get with cheap
> used
> SCSI hard drives!  I should get a newer one from ComputerGiants or
> something if I want more reliability.

Early Cheetahs were warm. By the time the 18G drives were coming out
they got the heat issues solved. Damn fine drives in the greater than
9G size.

I'd only ever worry about heat in an SS5 if I had an old pair of 'cudas
and a CG14(is that right?) (Big dual slot framebuffer 24 bit type)

> Installing an OS on a SS5 is an interesting exercise.  Some SS5's have
> 1/3 height 5.25" bay that would only accomodate a certain Toshiba slim
> SCSI CD-ROM drive.  IIRC it pops out with the spindle like a laptop
> drive,
> but it's DOG SLOW (2X).  My SS5 doesn't come with this drive, so at
> first
> I'd open the lid and give it an internal Plextor 40X SCSI CD-ROM drive
> (with ID set to 6, of course).  I've since bought the same type of
> drive
> in an external enclosure, since my Win2K gaming rig normally has the
> Plextor.  After the OS was installed, I'd shut down and remove the
> drive,
> and hope that I wouldn't need a CD again.  Some of the later
> SparcStation
> Aurora chassis have a proper half-height 5.25" bay; I had a SS4 that
> had
> this chassis, but the board was flaky on this system, and I didn't feel
> like transplanting the SS5 board sled in there (I don't know if I
> could've
> done it.  Oh well).

Geez dood, what do you want from more than 10 year old technology?
Those boxen wiped the floor with PeeCee's of comparable vintage.

To answer your points the second generation SS5 was called Aurora II
and yes it held a standard full size CD-ROM drive. As for the SS4 and
SS5 yes you could transplant the board however the wimpy SS4 PSU likely
would die if loaded with drives.

FWIW I ran an SS4 as my mail server for 4 years until the drive started
to die so I switched to an Apple B&W 400MHz G3 running OS-X Sewer.

--
Mike N

Can I kline people for threatening to MS DOS me?