[rescue] Rescue of a 720N (dell rebadged NetApp)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Feb 24 03:25:15 CST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:03:35AM -0500, Nick B. wrote:
> Anyone have experience with these?  I'm looking at getting a 720N, and a 700N
> tray with 10x18 in it.  Are there any major differences between the dell
> rebadged and the genuine netapps?

>From looking at the documentation:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/stor-sys/spv7xxn/index.htm

they look to be just like "normal" NetApp units.  I know at one point
there was a NetApp system that was a Dell x86 server with a customized
version of OnTap that ran on a normal BIOS, but these units look like
"real" NetApp filer units.

> I remember someone mentioned it was
> sometimes possible to get unofficial licenses for netapps, and was wondering
> if that was possible on the dell rebadged ones as well.  I havn't picked it up
> yet, and am looking for any usefull feedback I can get, thanks!

Give me a shout offlist, I can help you with license keys for personal/
hobbyist use.

(man, I wouldnt mind a 720N myself.  Had a 520 but I had to get rid of it
 when I moved to Houston..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford