[rescue] hp9000 questions

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Thu Feb 23 17:11:55 CST 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 1:28 PM, alex at lava-net.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the next couple of weeks I'm rescuing a couple of hp boxes (a
> 9000/715 and a Visualise c180).  I have absolutely no experience with
> these machines so I have a couple of questions.
>
> Can I get a serial console on these? both don't have
> keyboards/rodants/monitors, so the only way I can access them for the
> time being is over serial.  If this is possible, how does one go about
> doing it?

Yes both will do console. You may have to pull the graphics card on
the C180 for that to work though.[0]

> How easily are keyboard/rodant to come by for these? I'd eventually
> like
> to get one for each one of these.

The C and 715(depending on which model) both take PS/2 keyboards and
rodents. The 715 if an 'even'[1] model will require an interface box
and cable to break out the I/O port into PS/2 and HIL. The 715 if an
'odd'[2] model will take HIL keyboards/rodents directly. I think I
still have some of these. Also note that HIL keyboards/rodents will
also work with the C180

Also loads of very useful info here: http://www.openpa.net/

--
Mike N

ARF! She said.

[0] Sorry been a long time since I hacked on HPUX and HP9000 gear. My
memories are fuzzy these days.

[1] 715-50/66/80/100/100XC

[2] 715-33/66/75