[rescue] Modern AS/400 than runs Linux?

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Fri Feb 10 12:20:39 CST 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:10:04PM -0600, Wes Will wrote:
> >However, from what I understand, you can only run Linux under an LPAR, and
> >still need OS/400 there to manage things, though I might be wrong.
> >
> >It's a lot easier to find an RS/6000 which will run Linux, and it's
> basically
> >the same hardware once you get Linux on it..
If you want to install Linux on a RS/6000 processor, it cannot be an MCA
based system. When I got an 42T last year, I tried to see if any BSD or Linux
would support it. Since it was MCA based, there was no Linux dsitribution or
NetBSD would support it. The PCI-based machines seem to be
well supported in Linux. I do not know if any of the BSDs do support those. I
suspect some support is there since the later RS/6000 machines have OpenFirmware
and other goodies.
-Andy Wallis