[rescue] Toshiba laptop memory, anyone?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 4 14:56:50 CST 2006

>From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>Date: Fri Feb 03 03:12:40 CST 2006
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] Toshiba laptop memory, anyone?

>I've just picked up a Toshiba 110CS/810 that was on its way to being
>trashed.  However, it has only 16M RAM - it has a Kingston RAM module
>which is only one-quarter populated.

Aside from the amount of memory installed, are there any problems with the laptop? (hardware faults?)

Why not investigate using it as-is, my thought being that it will still run Windows 3.1 as well as it ever did (the CPU didn't slow down with age ;^), and keep a keen eye out at PC flea markets/hamfests for a suitable memory "chip"...

Soldering parts on the current memory expansion card seems like a great way to bring the laptop down to 8 Megs RAM ;^)

You could investigate a mini-Linux type install (though no names come tomind right now), it could make a fine network "terminal" on a shelf in your server room or similar installation with AC power and wired Ethernet...

Lionel