[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 28 07:39:15 CST 2006

>From: John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2006/12/27 Wed PM 08:50:17 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>, Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

<snip>

>The machine is an Ultra 1 @ 175 Mhz and 64 MB of RAM. I'm sure RAM is
>really the bottleneck here.

Ya think? ;^)

What is your OS - once the OS drops it's working set[0] of code into RAM, I can't imagine there is any appreciable amount of RAM left for the compiler to use, so you are most likely swapping out chunks of the OS working set to get the compiler to load.

You should really get some more RAM, up to 1 Gig [1] if your application for this machine is as a desktop/GUI workstation, 512 Meg [2] is good for knock-around system, and really, a headless, brain-dead server application would probably be much more efficient with at least 256 [3] Meg of RAM. Prices should be pretty reasonable...

Lionel

[0] my term for the required core set of code modules needed on a near-constant basis for the OS

[1] 8x 128 Meg DIMMs is the max for an Ultra 1 (any flavor)
[2] 8x 64 Meg DIMMs will get you here for few dollars
[3] 8x 32 Meg DIMMs will get you here - if this is all you want, drop me a note and I can arrange shipment of sufficient 32 Meg DIMMs to fill out your empty memory slots for the cost of shipping.