[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Thu Dec 28 01:33:15 CST 2006

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 06:50:17PM -0800, John Floren wrote:
> The machine is an Ultra 1 @ 175 Mhz and 64 MB of RAM. I'm sure RAM is
> really the bottleneck here.

Yep, sounds like it. You can probably get some kind rescuers to send you
some RAM if you ask nicely :)

> Another reason it took so long was that, as I said, it had to compile
> a lot of dependencies. I believe that was the first thing I had
> compiled on that machine (shows my priorities). Anyway, that box
> blazes compared to the PII, 32 MB laptop I just installed FreeBSD on.

Heh. I still have a 486 DX2/50 laptop with 12MiB running NetBSD 2.0
floating around here somewhere.

total memory = 11900 KB
avail memory = 10012 KB
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
cpu0: Intel 486DX2 (486-class), id 0x435
cpu0: features 3<FPU,VME>

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/