[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Wed Dec 27 13:13:40 CST 2006

Michael-John Turner wrote:

> Some suggestions for the OP:
> - make sure your filesystems are mounted with softdeps enabled

Definitely.

> - pass -pipe to gcc (put "COPTS+=-pipe" in /etc/mk.conf) - it prevents gcc
>   creating unnecessary temporary files on disk, speeding up compilation

Never heard that trick before.  Thanks.

> - make sure you have enough RAM - 64-bit LP systems _love_ RAM

Agreed.  I just upgraded my Ultra 1 from 128MB to 1GB a couple of days
ago.  I didn't intend for the memory to stay there (I bought it to take
my E250 from 1GB to 2GB) but needed quick access to a box to test the
RAM out before giving the seller feedback on eBay.  I was noticing
improvements of 25% to 50% in disk I/O intensive tasks after installing
the memory.  Yeah, OK, so that still brought it up to Ultra 5 disk
performance levels, but I can probably blame some of that on the 4.5GB
drive in there.  I've got a bunch more drives coming in soon so there
will be a pair of 18GB 15,000 RPM drives in there soon. Probably not to
stay, but I'd like to at least get a feel for how much the old 4.5GB
disk was holding me back.