[rescue] Making Solaris 10 boot after the boot device haschanged

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 11:28:45 CST 2006

On 12/23/06, Larry Snyder <larrys at lexisnexis.com> wrote:
> velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/23/06, Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:
> > <snipped boot woes>
> >
> > My tactic in this situation would be to give the system a full boot
> > path from the OK prompt:
>
> ...excellent advice snipped...
>
> Any chance that he's got a dragon lying in /etc/system (rootdev, etc)?

I'd consider it unlikely as he's said he only has one disk attached.
One other thing I could suggest, but it might truly bork up the boot
disk.

Once in my younger days, I migrated a system from one box to another
with the same boot disk but the new system had a different type of
SCSI controller--and I couldn't get the new system to boot with the
old disk.

I ended up booting from the media, mounting the root slice under /a,
then used either cp or cpio to copy everything from /dev* to the root
disk.  I'm pretty sure I used find with cpio since cp is does weird
stuff with hard links and is finicky about soft links if you don't get
the flags right.  E.g. find {some expression} | cpio -pdumv
{destination}

Worth testing in /tmp or somewhere to get the syntax sorted before
going live with the command to your boot disk.

=Nadine=