[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Sun Dec 24 22:00:31 CST 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Exactly. An Ultra 2 can run most current version of Solaris w/proper CPUs, and 300 MHz CPUs are quite plentiful/affordable (as in a pair for less than $20) if your particular Ultra 2 came with lesser CPUs. An Ultra 1, while useful, can not.

On the flip side a U1 seems to run Linux competently.  Yeah, some here
will roll their eyes, but Linux does give some of these machines a new
lease on life.

Tonight I strapped a rescued DLT2000 drive to a rescued Ultra 1 and when
I can find where I put my SBus FastEthernet adapter, this thing is going
to become my tape backup server for my home LAN.  Running Aurora Linux
2.0 (effectively Fedora Core 3).  The latest Ubuntu release, Edgy, seem
to run pretty well on sparc hardware as well (though the previous
release, dapper, and my E250 had some disagreements)