[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 24 10:38:52 CST 2006

>From: "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com>
>Date: 2006/12/22 Fri PM 03:37:53 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

>   On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Magnus wrote:
>
>> Ultra 1's are so valueless that you're not going to want to buy
>> one off eBay, as the shipping costs greatly exceed the value of
>> the machine.
>
>   Grrrr....
>
>   I rather happen to like my "Netra NFS" (aka "Enterprise 150")
>that's really an Ultra-1 under the covers with an integral 12-
>bay disk array in the front.  It's actually quite a nice little
>machine.  It's been through a few upgrades over the years (4-gig
>drives to 9 Go, to 18s now, and 512 Mo of mainstore), and is
>really very adequate for my needs.
>
>   It does take a while to patch the thing, though.  The latest
>8_Recommended cluster took about 3 1/2 hours....

I think that was my comment, but if it wasn't, it is something I would have said, and I stand by it.

I think nearly everyone on this list would stop and pick up an Ultra 1 if they saw it sitting in front of someone's house, sitting on top of a dumpster, or in a trash pile at the office/school. They are as fast as they ever were, and with a gig of RAM, a decent HD and one of the later CPUs (170E or 200E) decent little desktops/utility boxes.

On the other hand, there are few people that would reach into their pocket and put, say, a $20 bill down in exchange for an Ultra 1, unless it had some large HDs, was full of RAM, and had a creator framebuffer, keyboard and mouse.

My point was in relation to the last comment - they have computational value, not $$ value - hence the recommendation to not BUY an Ultra 1 or sink any real money into it.

Ultra 2s with dual 300 MHz CPUs, HD & framebuffers are in the $25-40 range, depending on RAM & HD size - given that, is it "worth" $25 to buy an 18 Gig HD when you can get a loaded Ultra 2 with dual 9 Gig HDs for about the same price?

I have a literal ton of Ultra 1 and 2s in my basement, and I am challeneged to give them away at this point - please feel free to prove me wrong and take some off my hands. Keep the money, just cover shipping...