[rescue] Making Solaris 10 boot after the boot device has changed

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sat Dec 23 14:51:53 CST 2006

I have a Sun Blade 100 whose primary IDE channel seems to have shit
itself. I can connect the CDROM and hard disk to the secondary IDE
channel, and it works. I changed the boot device under OBP, but of
course Solaris needs it changed as well in /etc/vfstab.

I would think that I could do this when booting solaris - it does an
fsck on /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0, tells me that it can't repair that device
(because it doesn't exist there anymore, see), and asks me fore "Root
password for system maintenance".

Once I log in, it DOES mount / for me. However, / is mounted read-
only, and I can't remount it:
	# mount
	/ on /pci at 1f,0/ide at d/disk at 2,0:a read/write/setuid/devices/dev=2200010
	# touch /asdf
	touch: /asdf cannot create
	# vi /asdf
	"/var/tmp/ExK.a41a" Read-only file system
	# mount -o remount,rw /
	mount: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 or /, no such file or directory
	# mount -o remount,rw /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0
	mount: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 or /, no such file or directory

Also, there isn't one single device in /dev/rdsk that responds to
fsck - if I do
	fsck /dev/rdsk/*
it comes back with
	fsck: could not stat /dev/rdsk/c?t?d?s?: No such file or directory
for each disk.

When booting from the install cd with
	boot cdrom -s
at OBP, I can mount and fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2, however, fsck
doesn't recognize that when I'm booted from the hard disk. I did try
to boot from cdrom and change /etc/vfstab on the hard disk to reflect
this value, but there is no change to the symptoms of my problem,
and /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2 never did fsck when booted from the hard disk
anyway, so something else seems to be wrong.

I have the Blade 100's on-board IDE channels, as well as a single-
channel SCSI card (with currently no disks attached) attached to the
machine.

Contents of /dev/rdsk when booting from hard disk:
	c0t0d0
	c0t1d0
	c0t2d0
	c1t0d0
	c2d0d0
Contents of /dev/rdsk when booting from install cd:
	c0t2d0	<- which is my hard disk; it mounts and fscks
	c0t3d0

I can't seem to run devfsadm from the install cd, even when chrooted
into the root filesystem on-disk; it fails with
	devfsadm: di_init failed for /: No such file or directory
I thought I might need to rebuild the devices..? But I can't this
way. Trying to do it by booting from the disk won't work, since I
can't mount / read-write.

<grumble>The number of failed parts on this machine is...
frustrating. Failed CPU when I got it (though it was listed as-is,
and a friendly list member sent me a replacement CPU - thanks!), IDE
channel 0 crapped out, damn CDROM died in the middle of this whole
process causing me to waste about an hour, the DVD drive I put in
there since won't even boot from DVDs (but will boot from CDs just
fine, and when I put in my SCSI card to avoid this problem and
reinstall on SCSI like I was meaning to anyway, both of my drives
died on me!</grumble>

Is there an answer I'm not seeing? It seems silly to reinstall
Solaris just because of this, since I have a perfectly working system
installed on the wrong controller...

  - Micah