[rescue] Sun Ultra 5 and USB keyboard/mouse

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Wed Dec 20 15:06:34 CST 2006

>Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:29:28 +0200
>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Subject: [rescue] Sun Ultra 5 and USB keyboard/mouse
>To: Sun Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
>Is there any way to use a USB keyboard and mouse on an Ultra 5?
>
>What would be acceptable would be to have it work under X, even
>better would be to have openboot use it and/or solaris use it as
>the console.
>
>I STFW'ed and found questions about doing it with Linux 2.4 a long time
>ago, but nothing about solaris.
>
>If you have got USB working at all, pointers to the correct cards
>to buy would also be appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Geoff.

Geoff,

I have an Ultra 10 (just like your U5).  I am running a MS Optical USB mouse
instead of the Sun type 5 optical. (Strangely the MS mouse hasn't added any blue
screens to my sun ;-)"

I am running Solaris 10, and have added the following to my /etc/system file

* usb mouse config
set consconfig:usb_ms_path="/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/usb at 1/mouse at 1"

I have a generic pc dual-port clone USB1 card.  I think you can learn the path
to the device as you plug it in for the first time.

On the Blade 100 I used to use at work (until I moved to $LAPTOP), the usb mouse
"just worked", as there was no type-4/5 keyboard/mouse port on the host.

As for keyboards, I still use the Type 5, but I think that I would like to get
one of the USB Model "M"'s .....

Mmmmm clicky clicky.....

/Mark