[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Dec 19 13:40:30 CST 2006

Yes, per http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/9/specs.xml

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/prod/solaris.9#hic
http://www.amazon.com/Solaris-9-Dummies-Dave-Taylor/dp/0764539698/yonderway

> 3. Are 9.1 GB HDDs big enough?
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/9/specs.xml
"600 MB for desktops; 1 GB for servers"

> 4. And if I get to like it where I can get more of this? Are the SUN
> dumpsters color coded or is it a Moon-phase therapy?

Ultra 1's are so valueless that you're not going to want to buy one off
eBay, as the shipping costs greatly exceed the value of the machine.

Check out some of the local geek groups, especially system administrator
guilds, linux/unix user groups, etc.  Just tell them you're looking for
unused sparc hardware and usually you'll get some bites.  Sometimes if
you're lucky you'll score the right person at a major university or
corporation that can't seem to sell them as surplus and will give them
away to you in great numbers.  Just get your name out there locally as
someone receptive to recycling and retasking old UNIX machines and they
have a way of finding you, no dumpster diving needed.