[rescue] Sun's and hard drive firmware

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Dec 15 11:59:48 CST 2006

I snagged a 10K RPM Seagate drive for $0.99 (ninety-nine cents) on ebay.
Seller barely sold any at all.

It's in good condition, very quiet.  Only downside is it is half-height.

Anyway, my Sun's cannot see it.

I get the dreaded "unexpected message in 2" error, which usually means
the firmware is not compatible. I've never understood exactly why, but
that appears to be the usual cause.

In the past, I used a PC to burn new firmware from Seagate's website and
that usually fixed the problem.

This drive is branded Compaq, and unlike my other Compaq-branded
Seagates, this one doesn't give the original model number.  I could
guess but I rather know precisely.

Questions:

I can't find legacy support for this drive on HP's website.  I might
just not know where to look.  Any ideas appreciated.

Is it possible than a secondary SCSI controller on a Sun would not care?

Does anyone know of a way to burn firmware on a Seagate drive without
using their DOS based utility?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any