[rescue] rescued my new mail/web server tonight

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:58:19 CST 2006

On 12/13/06, Ron Wickersham <rjw at alembic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, velociraptor wrote:
>
> > On 12/12/06, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:
> > > I've been wanting to retire the Pee Cee (1.4GHz Duron) that is running
> > > my email/web services and tonight I saved its replacement from the dumpster.
> > >
> > > Sun Enterprise 250, 2x400MHz processors, 2GB RAM, 6x72GB 15KRPM disks.
> >
> > Didja get tipped off, or do you just have a regular route you check
> > out?  I guess they don't send the cops after folks in the Triangle
> > like they do in Silicon Valley...companies in Silicon Valley have gone
> > as far as putting locks on the dumpsters.
> >
> > =Nadine=
>
> yes, and brag on their web sites how they are green, green, green, then
> implement impossible barriers to reuse of the gear they discard :-(

Some sell to scrap dealers, some pay recyclers to cart it off (now
with the electronic waste tax in CA, not sure what will fall out).

In Silicon Valley the locks came about as a result of a) corporate
espionage, b) dumpster divers getting too bold, c) fear of liability
from accidents.  They use trespassing laws to roust people.  Some
places look the other way, others are very draconian.

$hurtling_network_juggernaut would: pay the scrappers to take away the
stuff in the labs--they were required by contract to destroy the kit
as it included prototypes; didn't (really) look too closely at
employees taking stuff home providing it was surplus; donated some
stuff to schools (but an employee had to "sponsor" such donation); and
stored some until $arbitrary_event.[0]  I believe the scrappers came
through post-moves as well, but am not sure.  I do know a lot of stuff
went home with the folks who did the disconnect part of moves, as
folks who moved generally culled some of the stuff they were
squirrelling away just as a result of having to move.

=Nadine=

[0] undefined