[rescue] Power Requirement Calculations

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Wed Dec 13 10:01:29 CST 2006

Peter Corlett said ...
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 09:45:16AM -0600, Brian Deloria wrote:
[of an "amp clamp" style power meter...]
> > It's also a nice thing to show morons how bad plugging an
> > LJ 8150 into a UPS is.
>
> I worked this one out when I plugged a LJ4 into the protected
> output of a
> 750VA UPS. The UPS made rather a racket while the printer's heater was
> running...

Yeah.  I've had some indirect experience with that, like when one of the
notwork nimrods at $ORK-1 plugged a cow-orker's powerstrip into the new, but
_tout_petite_ UPS he'd brought her.  Said powerstrip contained a
goodly-sized PC, a 20" CRT, and both the departmental laser printers in the
next cube over.  The racket the UPS made was pretty loud, but mercifully
short.  The smell hung around, though.

-Shel