[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sun Dec 10 12:32:55 CST 2006

Erie Patsellis says ...

> Several European manufacturers, Audi, for one, as well as BMW use
> hydraulically assisted brakes (as well as steering), using a similar
> approach, though the pedal is connected to the master
> cylinder, if you
> lose hydraulic assist, for all practical purposes, there are
> not brakes
> (unless you have huge, powerful legs, that is.)

I dunno about Audi, and not a lot about current BMWs, but on my 80s 6 and 7
body BMWs, this was not a problem.  A Citroen sphere served as an
accumulator for hydraulic pressure for the brake system.  When the engine
stopped, you still had enough pressure for 10 fully-assisted, full-on brake
applications.

Another interesting point about those cars was that the climate control
system had bunches of vaccuum actuators, and there was (at least on the
Euro-market cars) an electic vaccuum booster pump for those times when the
throttle was WFO and there was no manifold vaccuum to power the system.

-Shel