[rescue] Anyone need a Sun DLT library?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Dec 5 21:06:23 CST 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 21:55, David Muran-de Assereto wrote:
> I've got a Sun DLT-4700 library/changer. SCSI-SE, works great. It's
> REALLY heavy, and I stink at shipping things,
> as several people here can attest. If someone in the DC area wants
> it, I'd take $100 for it. Making me ship it will cost
> $50 extra plus actual shipping costs.
> Includes a bunch of used tapes, BTW.

They're relatively nice autoloaders (as DEC designed them), but 20GB/tape
(native) seems really small now-a-days.

I was lucky to be able to give one away for $20 the other day...  It's a
shame that you can't upgrade the drive to a DLT7000 drive; I tried doing
that, but the library just sat there and blinked its lights in a
condecending manner. :(

However, it's not as bad of a deal if you include a bunch of tapes.

And they're not really *that* heavy.  The 574 slot StorageTek TimberWolf
9710 library I picked up this summer is about the heaviest one-unit tape
robot I've moved (around 700+ lbs).  Fortunately, that thing comes on
wheels.  I could pick up the 4700 by myself, and carry it out to my car
without too much problem.  I can't do that with the two bigger libraries
I've got. (And, it's somewhat harder to do with even the front-load
9-track drives I've got.)

Pat