[rescue] Anyone interested in a Sun E3000?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Dec 5 01:40:48 CST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> What's wrong with that?

My problem with it is that IBM ships DVD multi-writer drives but disable
support for writing anything other than DVD-RAM discs.  I complained to
my sales rep, I compiled to my CE, I bitched at my sales rep's
supervisor, I filed a PMR on the AIX drivers.

IBM's response was essentially "It's for mkcd and OS installs.  Don't
complain that you can't burn movies with it."

In actuality, I was complaining that the actual drive supported[0]
burning to DVD-R (or +R, I forget) media, which would be a Lot cheaper
for mkcd runs and TSM database backups, but IBM locked us into buying
DVD-RAM media for essentially no good reason at all.

[0] I pulled the module out and disassembled it enough to get a part
     number off it to find out it was a part they used in the Thinkpads
     that was capable of burning just about anything other than -RW
     disks.
--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and