[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Brock Johnson wildefire at brotay.net
Mon Dec 4 15:17:59 CST 2006

Aaron Finley wrote:

>On 12/4/06, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

>>>Not on a good modern laser.
>>>They use instant-on fusers.
>>>

>>It's not quite instant-on, but my Samsung ML2010 (also sold as Dell's
>>low-end $100 mono laser) takes about 20-30 seconds from "cold" to
>>"printing".  Not bad for a printer that I got on-sale for $65.
>>

>I've always been wary of cheap printers. In order, I've had a NEC 870, an
>Epson C-series, and an HP Business Inkjet. All have gone out the window
>(literally in two cases) for paper jams or other problems which get in the
>way of getting my work done. My Color Laserjet has been flawless, and the
>build quality is incredible. I've never had a single jam or glitch with this
>unit, but it is a beast. I thought I'd downsize because of power for B&W
>prints, so I headed out an found a used HP LaserJet 1100 this morning.
>Brought it home, realized it needed new rollers, opened it up, and within
>thirty minutes became frustrated by how poorly everything fit together and
>how braindead the maintenence access way that I ended up punching it several
>times, kicking it down the stairs and stomping on it.
>
>Looks like I'll continue paying higher power bills. I'm tempted by the deals
>these days on the 3550s with the instant-on fusers though.
>
>-- Aaron FInley

The LJ1100's are notorious for their pad seperators. I've got one at my
house, had to replace the pads on it twice.

HP used to offer a free kit for the repair of them but they discontinued
that a few years ago. fixyourownprinter.com has a seperator pad kit for
about 25 bucks shipped that works fine and doesn't wear out anywhere
near as fast as the HP ones did. (You can't even find the full seperator
pad kit on partsurfer from HP anymore, just the "sub" seperator pads,
which isn't what wears out.)