[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

John Francini francini at mac.com
Mon Dec 4 07:31:16 CST 2006

You may want to make sure its powersaver mode is actually enabled.
This kills the heaters that keep the fuser hot when its not necessary
(i.e., no paper is actually running through the printer).  The fuser
heater is the single biggest electrical consumer on a laser printer,
and is probably responsible for most of that $30.

However, the "cost" of power-saver mode is that the printer takes a
couple of minutes to warm up--not as much time as it takes when it
goes through a full startup (after power-on, but enough to notice)
when it is awakened to print a job.  Many companies full of "I want
it NOW!" types don't like waiting, so it might have been turned off.
I know I did that at $JOB-1 because of warm-up time issues on an HP
Color LaserJet 4600DN.