[rescue] SS Voyager cable info sought

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Mon Aug 28 21:08:13 CDT 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Joost van de Griek wrote:

> On 8/23/06 3:18 AM, Ron Wickersham wrote:
>
> > the cable 530-2063-01 has two female connectors (with the conductor strips on
> > the top and bottom of the opening) while the battery, powersupply and DC port
> > on the rear of the voyager have male connectors (with the central tongue which
> > has conductor strips on the top and bottom of the tongue).
> >
> > the cable is wired 1:1, i.e. with both ends facing you with the cut off
> > corners used for polarization on top, the upper left contact on one plug goes
> > to the upper left contact and so forth down the line. i also checked and there
> > are no jumpers between contacts, and all ten are wired thru on the cable
> > (maybe they're not all needed but the cable connects all ten).
>
> Does anyone on the list actually have this cable? If so, is there any
> information on the connectors that may give a clue as to where they may be
> obtained? I have two Voyagers, three batteries and one PSU, but no cable to
> charge the batteries. I'd gladly roll my own, probably to find out the
> batteries are dead. Then we can discuss rebuilding Voyager batteries.

i got the part number off the cable and the comments on the cable wiring
was done with an ohmmeter.   but there is absolutely no indication on the
connector to indicate the connector manufacturer.   the cable moulding has
the usual sun logo, just no indication of who made the guts.    when you
look at the connector on the battery you can see the "tongue" in the center
with conductor strips on both sides.   the connector on the cable is a
metal shell with what would effectively be a rectangular tube of plastic
insulation with the ten conductor strips on the inside edges to mate with
the conductor strips on the tongue.   there is nothing on the tongue or
the opening in the cable connector to deterime polarization, just the
slight trimming of the corners on the outer metal shell which corresponds
to the corners you can see on the battery connector.

i don't recognize anything that would even help hint at the connector
manufacturer.

-ron
-