[rescue] UPS battery replacement

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Fri Aug 25 18:31:18 CDT 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible that price includes hauling away your old batteries
>> and/or installation?  Getting rid of the old batteries can be a bigger
>> pain that getting the new ones.
>
> Check with your state recycling rules--in some states, automotive
> parts places are required to take all lead acid batteries.  Some
> require a small fee.

Vendors in many states will refund to you a "core charge" (misnomer)
that is added to all batteries at time of purchase.  Typically $5.
You might "get lucky" and find a shop that will refund you this
$5 even on the gelled electrolyte batteries found in UPS's
(I've managed to get the $5 credit when recycling *large*
UPS batteries -- i.e. the size of those used in motorcycles)

Can't hurt to ask!  ;-)