[rescue] USB<->Serial Adapters for Windows Laptops to Sun boxes

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Aug 21 15:17:23 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:28:36PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 02:50 PM 8/21/2006 , Joshua Boyd wrote:
> >
> >The generic Prolific based adapters found all over the place
> >(CablesToGo, Hawking, etc), should work just fine.  I can confirm that
> >they work under Windows with many non-Sun machines.  I can confirm that
> >they work with linux (minicom or ckermit) or Mac OS X (zTerm) with Suns.
>
> I've had the prolific driver BSOD win2k simply by unplugging the dongle
> while an app had the port open.

I know I've done the same thing without Win2k crashing.  But, it might
be a finicky thing that sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.

BTW, I've also used the dongles in linux in VMware (bother Player and
Workstation, but not at the same time) on Windows.  That was kinda cool.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/