[rescue] q on G4 "Digital Audio" and screen res

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Aug 18 14:54:20 CDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 03:29:32PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Before I go out and plunk down some money for a widescreen LCD, I am
> wondering if the G4 "DA" (digital audio) Mac that I have, that has a
> 16MB ATI card, will drive a widescreen monitor at 1440x900 ?

A 1280x1024 monitor has more pixels than a 1440x900 monitor.

FWIW, my older still G4 (500mhz Sawtooth) is happy to drive 1600x1200.

That isn't a guaranty that it will work, but if it fails, it won't be
because of power but instead because of lack of flexibility.

If it doesn't work, it shouldn't cost even $100 to put in a video card
that will work.

> BTW, I have to say that for a 4-5 year old system, I am pretty
> impressed by general tasks like reading email, surfing the web etc. by
> this system: G4/466Mhz, 896MB RAM.

I rather like my sawtooth.  I do a lot more than surf the web and read
my mail on it.

I go back and forth between wanting faster video, faster disk, or faster
CPU next.  I really would probably be best off replacing it with a
quicksilver model, but I can't afford that.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/