[rescue] G4 pricing

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Aug 17 10:01:21 CDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:37:14AM -0400, velociraptor wrote:
> On 8/17/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>wrote:

>>> On a similar vein, there is a plausible use for 16GiB of RAM - run
>>> everything off a ramdisk. Even wordstar in a vm,
>>
>> You could run a hell of a lot of DOS 2.1 VMs in 15 GiB of RAM. =)
>
> But if you are just doing DOS stuff you can run DOSBox on PPC...it's
> not like performance is going to be an issue.  (Which reminds me, I
> still need to try X-Com under DOSBox on OS X).

Or for that matter, I could run it under DOS under SoftPC under Basilisk
II on the Power Mac. =)

> Yes, I'm being a killjoy, I know.  I can't help it, I hate seeing
> my PPCs become obsolete as an oldskool Mac user--it's not about
> architecture bias for me, it's just a little nostalgia for a passing
> era (but hey props to Apple for a full architecture conversion in 210
> days).

Yeah, I held onto the 68k Macs longer than I should have too, but the
first generation PPC boxes just didn't seem that much faster than the
Quadra 950 I was running at the time.

> Though it's quite happiness that the base MacPro costs so much less
> than an equiv Dell box.  Anyone seen any noise output comparisons yet?

I am very happy about that price point, and I hope to be able to afford
one some time in the no to distant future. =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org