[rescue] G4 pricing

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 09:37:14 CDT 2006

On 8/17/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 07:26:37AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:37:13PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> >
> >> "Wordstar on an 4.077 MHz 8088 could keep up with my typing; WinWord
> >> under Windoze on a 300 MHz PII can't." --Seth Breidbart
> >
> > On a similar vein, there is a plausible use for 16GiB of RAM - run
> > everything off a ramdisk. Even wordstar in a vm,
>
> You could run a hell of a lot of DOS 2.1 VMs in 15 GiB of RAM. =)

But if you are just doing DOS stuff you can run DOSBox on PPC...it's
not like performance is going to be an issue.  (Which reminds me, I
still need to try X-Com under DOSBox on OS X).

Yes, I'm being a killjoy, I know.  I can't help it, I hate seeing my
PPCs become obsolete as an oldskool Mac user--it's not about
architecture bias for me, it's just a little nostalgia for a passing
era (but hey props to Apple for a full architecture conversion in 210
days).

Though it's quite happiness that the base MacPro costs so much less
than an equiv Dell box.  Anyone seen any noise output comparisons yet?

=Nadine=