[rescue] G4 pricing

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:22:40 CDT 2006

On 8/14/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

> Ugh.  If it just killed the FW, then at least you could get a card,
> which would take up a slot, but this effectively takes out two slots.
> :-/

Yep.  Kinda sucks, but at the time, the system was pretty cheap.

> > At the least, tote a FW/USB drive with you and see if you can test all
> > the ports.  From what I read the iSight cameras are particularly
> > notorious for blowing FW ports (use on an isolated FW hub if you must
> > use).
>
> Good to know.  Any idea why this is?  Camera draw too many amps?

I presume.  It's been a while since I read about it, but there's a lot
of reports about it.  Here's the info from Firewire Depot, though this
seems thinner on details than I recall.  They are one of the few
places that sell FW isolators that prevent powered devices from
sending too much power up the cable to the ports on the computer.

http://fwdepot.com/thestore/newsdesk_info.php/newsdesk_id/50

Maybe the other stuff I read was at www.xlr8yourmac.com; I'm having
trouble finding the info now.

I guess it's a combination of problems, some things drawing too much
power, like the iSight, and other things sending too much power, like
out-of-spec powered drive cannisters.

=Nadine=