[rescue] G4 pricing

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:00:11 CDT 2006

On 8/14/06, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:
> > You could easily fix up the IDE slowness issue for <$50 with an IDE card.
>
> Firewire!
> Let me guess, it can't boot from it.

No, the FW port is totally dedders.  If I use the on-board, even after
a reboot I get nada.

As for the dead PCI slot, it's not truly deaders, I just noted if I
put something in there, it works intermittently.  Though, I have to
admit, I haven't done a full-on test with a known good Mac compatible
PCI card.  When I got my new FW 800 card I didn't want to a) fiddle
with it, b) risk blowing the new card.

> I picked up a G4 400mhz powerbook for $40 from Craigslist. It appears to
> have some issues tho :-( The screen doesn't seem to always come on,
> perhaps the inverter is bad.

I guess you'd call that a low-end Mini? You might be able to find a
working screen assembly for <$100 with some hunting.  I suspect when
the second revs of the Intel laptops come out and get less negative
press on the heat issues, that Powerbook prices will be on their way
to the basement.

=Nadine=