[rescue] G4 pricing

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 16:38:28 CDT 2006

On 8/14/06, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> >> If it doesn't have an AGP slot, no.
> >
> > Cymru just forwarded me the Freecycle post again and it does say "PCI
> > graphics".  So, I guess we'll pass.
> >
> > What would you consider a fair price for that configuration?
>
> That particular machine has -really slow- IDE.  Think "blue and white G3
> with a G4 chip crammed in there".  It has a healthy amount of storage,
> so $350 is probably a -decent- price for it, but it's just such a
> lopsided configuration.

Find out the models of the HDs.  I believe Deathstars are stock, so
that might be something for pushing down price.

You could easily fix up the IDE slowness issue for <$50 with an IDE card.

Another thing to find out (I discovered this the hard way) is whether
the FW ports are working.  FW bus problems are common PowerMacs and
problems with FW ports often result in problems with PCI slots.  My
on-board FW is dead, and one of my PCI slots is dead as well.

At the least, tote a FW/USB drive with you and see if you can test all
the ports.  From what I read the iSight cameras are particularly
notorious for blowing FW ports (use on an isolated FW hub if you must
use).

=Nadine=