[rescue] compaq external drive array

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Sun Aug 13 22:32:31 CDT 2006

On 8/13/06 9:51 PM, "Don Y" <dgy at DakotaCom.Net> wrote:

> alex at lava-net.com wrote:
>> Not sure, haven't been able to get the front open yet.
>
> You should be able to see the "red" latches (they open horizontally)
> on either edge of the carrier -- and I think there may be an
> LED or two on each sled...
>
> How do you know they are 68 pin?  IIRC, the sleds accept 80
> pin SCA drives (but I would have to double check that to
> be sure...)

I know the sleds you mean- there were both SCA and Wide SCSI versions. Each
sled had a card edge connector for the sled to the enclosure. 3 LEDs per
sled- should correspond to three plastic windows on the door of the
enclosure.

If the enclosure is the one I'm thinking of, check ebay item 9724486644.
Even though they call it a Proliant 1500, the picture is really just the
scsi expansion tower. You could rack it horizontally without the door.

Disks in that vintage tower were usually 2GB, 4GB or maybe 9GB, but any disk
with the appropriate interface can swap into the trays.

There's no smarts in the box, it's just JBOD.

I don't know if the keys interchange. It's been a long time since I've run
these, and we never locked them since they were in the server room. I may
still have a set of keys Compaq gear of this vintage, but no idea of they
would work. If it were me, I'd just drill the lock.

Hope that helps,

Steve