[rescue] compaq external drive array

alex at lava-net.com alex at lava-net.com
Sun Aug 13 12:39:30 CDT 2006

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's pre dec...the drives are 4.3gb fullheight
seagates, half compaq firmware and half regular seagate, and I believe
them to be original, so it's probably from around 95/96...
Iirc, the drives are standard 68-pin that have an adapter to convert
to some priprietary compaq hotplug system.
On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at
01:32:15PM -0400, Bryan Gurney wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:24:48 -0400, <alex at lava-net.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Got ahold of an old compaq external drive array that I'm trying to
> > identify.  It doesn't seem to have a model number on it, just says
> > Compaq Proliant on the front door.  It seems to be mid 90s vintage,
> > holds 7 68-pin (?) hdds, and has a 68 pin SCSI connecter on it.
> >
> > My first question is, does anyone know what this could be? even a series
> > would be a good start...
> > Next, how do keys for this work? the door was locked when I got it and
> > it didn't come with a key...the lock has resisted all attempts to be
> > opened, and you can't even get to the back of it to unscrew the cylinder
> > if you take the sides off the case.  The lock is a real lock, not one of
> > those fake ones you can open with a screwdriver.  Would this be a one
> > key fits all situation or would each individual unit have it's own key?
> >

> 68-pin connectors?  Only 7?  A front door?  This sounds like something
> pre-DEC, and pre-aluminum-tray-caddy.
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.