[rescue] Whee! Time to relearn 6502 assembly

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 11 14:08:52 CDT 2006

Fri, 11 Aug 2006 @ 06:25 +0000, wa2egp at att.net said:

> From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
> > We just rescued an Apple II and an Apple IIe, complete with a 10"-or-so
> > Sanyo monitor and a pair of Shugart full-height 5.25" floppy drives.
> > Oh, the technology!  The speed!  The whirring and clunking noises!
> >
> > I have no idea how much memory either machine has.  Time to see if I can
> > teach the kids some REAL computing basics.  Muahahahahaha!
>
> I still use an Apple 2c to demo some concepts in chemistry because I haven't
> found software as easy to use (or find software) in th PC world.  Also fun
> to show a 64K machine, no hard drive and 5.25" floppies will do the
> graphics that it can do.

The Apple machines ended up with some really good software here and
there, some of which never really got duplicated elsewhere.

That's also an area where UNIX software really falls short.

Lot's good software for doing physics, math, etc, but almost nothing for
actually teaching it or doing it non-programmatically.

When you do find something, it is usually very complex or very
expensive.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.