[rescue] WTB: Cisco C3524 and C3512

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Wed Aug 9 20:00:56 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 10:51 am, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:20:44AM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
> > > (Though what I still want in a DVR is a button to not just skip the
> > > commercials, but instantly and permanently edit them out.)
> >
> > Build yourself a MythTV box and you can:
>
> Good luck. My experience with MythTV makes Windows "media center edition"
> look awfully good.

Wow, you certainly didn't have such a great time with it.  I'll surely grant
you that it's far from a simple install (both the Myth packages themselves,
but also the crazy maze of hardware support that is only starting to become
decent) and... I really can't figure out why they haven't spent more time
polishing the UI...

I've managed to accomulate two frontends and a backend with its own encoders
on a terabyte raid in full-time use by the family.  I pretty much make it a
dedicated Tivo box and leave stuff like DVD playing up to the DVD player.
Just hit "DVD" on the receiver and pop in a disc.

My main frontend is a wimpy EPIA M10000, which unfortunately isn't fanless and
a little hotter than I'd like with its own drive.  But I can't hear it when
it's in the rack, and is doing playback completely in CPU behaves pretty
well.  Not perfect, but 95% of perfect I'd say.  Setting up the EPIA boards
was a big PITA by itself, and I still don't think I'm taking advantage of any
of the hardware acceleration for playback.    Maybe that's my fault for
trying to stick with Slackware.  Maybe I should rebuild it now, as it's been
about a year and a half since I put it together and we hope a lot happens in
a year of open-source driver development?

-E.