[rescue] WTB: Cisco C3524 and C3512

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Aug 7 10:54:43 CDT 2006

Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> Looking for two low cost switches as I work on getting rid of my
> office. Currently using a 5513...as you can imagine, nasty power
> bill.
>
> So looking for a Cisco 3512 switch with the gbic slots (12 port
> 100megabit w/ management so I can do vlans via IOS) and a 3524 which
> should be similiar with 24 ports (or the 48 port version I guess if
> price is right, but apartment would burn before I got 40 machines up
> and running).
>
> I am watching and bidding on ebay, but figured I'd post on here too.

Do you *have* to have the gigabit slots?  The previous generation (C2912
and C2924) are dirt cheap.  Just make sure you get a 29xx-XL-A or
29xx-XL-EN and not a 29xx-XL ;)

(the non-A/non-EN - the difference is the software load, they both have
the same amount of flash & dram - can't take the "Enterprise" firmware
which provides the VLAN functions)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com