[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Aug 3 05:03:52 CDT 2006

On 2 Aug 2006, at 23:41, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
[...]
> We're affected by Microsoft -every single day-.  Your average mail
> system receives approximately 15% - 30% more spam (both in terms of
> messages and octet count) than it does actual email.  A very, very
> large
> portion of that traffic is generated by zombified PCs running
> Microsoft
> Windows.

100:115 - 100:130? I wish it were that low.

Probably about 90% of the attempted mail deliveries to my MXer are
worm traffic. The aggressive heuristics mean that most don't make it
past MAIL FROM: and probably about 60% of what's left gets as far as
DATA before also being declined.

I'm considering rebuilding the mail system to gather better
statistics and be easier to fine-tune.