[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

William Kirkland bill.kirkland at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 15:55:19 CDT 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:13, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:31:23 -0400
> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
> Sat, 29 Jul 2006 @ 14:18 -0700, Devin L. Ganger said:
>
>> I haven't seen any other company doing nearly as much as Microsoft
>> has
>> in the last three years to offer training, solutions, and guidance to
>> its customers on how security impacts every level of computing, from
>> design to deployment to operations.
>
> That's an odd thing to say, given that Microsoft has done the
> *least* of
> almost any other entity in the last 20 years about security.

If we are to comment on that particular paragraph ...

One would have to ignore the damage Microsoft has accomplished, prior
to giving credit to their solutions. The primary security hole for
email viruses' has not changed since Microsoft has introduced it. MS
word, excell, powerpoint, etc ...; all allow macros. These become
security holes when those types of documents are automatically opened
(even by a preview feature). This is then code, executed prior to
confirming the source. No amount of scanning will alter that design
flaw. If the applications could only modify the display, some of the
capabilities could be retained.