[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 28 17:51:50 CDT 2006

Don Y wrote:
> nate at portents.com wrote:
>>I was heading into a Best Buy in LA about six years ago, and a Lamborghini
>>Diablo pulled into a handicapped spot in the front row of spaces, and a
>>young, healthy couple got out and walked in.  I noticed there was some
>>sort of handicap permit hanging from their rear view mirror, but the
>>plates were normal.  To this day I still don't know what was up with that.
>
> Yes, the "movement" here was to put a photo on these "portable tags"
> so that if you had it hanging in your car and the person portrayed
> on the tag was NOT in the vehicle, you got a hefty fine!  To stop
> these sorts of abuses... "Mom, can I borrow your handicapped
> tag so I can get a good parking place when I run out to buy
> cigarettes/liquor/whatever?"

Here in New hampshire, when they issue your tag, they send you back to
the nearest DMV office, where they remake your license with a little
wheelchair logo on it.  If there's any doubt about whether you have a
right to that tag you're hanging while you park, the nice officer will
ask to see your license, and you'd so better have that little wheelchair
logo on it.

To be fair, on a good day I don't *look* disabled.  Not going *into* the
store, anyway.  I'm almost always hobbling by the time I come out.