[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Fri Apr 28 12:58:38 CDT 2006

> Aren't these just some variant of serial ports?  Surely (?)
> there has to be some documentation available to hack together
> a hardware interface that would let it talk to a laptop...  (?)

Modern whips use a system called ODB-II... no wait, not Ol' Dirty Bastard,
it's OBD-II. I believe there are 3 physical connection standards. For a
long time it was hard to come across a means to interface to it. Now,
though, there is a free open source project called Scantool.

I believe the protocol is set up in that there is a specific general
layout of some of the parameters, then tons of automaker specific stuff.

http://www.scantool.net/?mode=displaySoftware&software_id=39&category=ScanTool.net

That is one, there is a linux one as well, I believe.