[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Fri Apr 28 12:09:56 CDT 2006

wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>> It's just a f*ckup.  If you played with the deck for
>> any length of time, you would quickly realize that there
>> is no way to rationalize the design.
>>
>> Problem is in the implementation.  Lots of MCU's doing
>> little, independant tasks.  And, with flawed interfaces
>> so they (in this case, the MCU that *just* watches
>> the tape reels and runs the counter) don't really know
>> whats going on with the user...
>>
>> <shrug>  But, I didn't buy the decks for the tape counter!  :>
>
> Well, I hope not!  There have been many bad designs out
> there.  Cars the need the engine lifted to change sparkplugs

I've finally learned that I need to pull the front wheels
off my car to change the rear plugs.  Annoying, but once
you accept this reality, they are quite easy to change!

I never was happy with the "access window" in the distributor
cap on an earlier vehicle I owned.  Sure, it made regapping the
points while the engine was running MUCH easier... except for
the fact that some emission control plumbing blocked access
to the d*mn window!!

> and my personal favorite, a heated butter dish inside a
> refrigerator so the butter is not too hard to spread.  In

Actually, I miss our 1950's vintage refrigerator that had
a heated butter compartment in the door.  It was in college
that I first "discovered" that butter isn't *soft* when it
comes out of (a normal!) refrigerator!  :-(

> this case, the low tech, belt driven counter has an
> advantage :)

Yup.  It would be even more amusing if the counter had
tracked "elapsed/remaining tape time"... see it counting
elapsed time DOWN!  :>