[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Apr 28 08:13:05 CDT 2006

Bob wrote:

> The device I got was an OBD II so it can read 1994 and after
> vehicles.  For about $100 it includes built in codes and can
> test the emission system too.  Only thing is it can't read
> codes on-the-fly; only scans when you press the scan button.

   Woah, you *paid* for one? I took my sick car to the local Auto Zone
store the other night. The goatee'd teen behind the counter ran out to
the parking lot and read off the code (and full text!) from a
Fluke-looking handheld. He read it twice more when he saw me frantically
scribbling it down on my hand, too. :7)

    I found the explanation on the net, tried the gas-cap trick despite
their advice, and the light went off the next day.

   Now, to find a dealer who wants to give too much for it in
trade-in...

-wde
--
Will Enestvedt